Saturday, February 2, 2013

Celebration Station! Staff Rundown: Stephanie Gianopoulos

Day 2 

Stephanie Gianopoulos: Editor, Muse, Beautiful Baker



Stephanie has edited every word of Railroad! since Volume One. Her discerning eye for grammatical content has kept the rails running nice and smoothly. We had a chance to sit down with the ever busy lady and ask her a few questions about her work and the Railroad! world. Here is what she had to say:

1) When it comes to editing, what is the hardest part of the job?



When I take on a project, I’ve been recruited for the sole purpose of being ruthlessly critical of something into which the author has put his or her thoughts, emotions, laughter, tears, and precious time. That can be a tough role. Personally, I’m much more comfortable being the reassuring nurturer than the hard-ass critic, but editing just happens to be my natural skill.



2) Do you find yourself slipping into editing mode when reading for fun?



Wait, are you saying there’s a way to turn editing mode off? Seriously, though, I do often want to tinker with the books I read for fun. That said, there are certainly authors who push my “I am not worthy” button. Toni Morrison is one. She’s an absolute goddess of language, and if I ever had the privilege to read one of her rough drafts—assuming my head didn’t instantly explode from delight overload—I don’t think I could bring myself to change one letter.



3) What is the most interesting project you have ever worked on?



It would hardly be fair to pick just one, especially since I’ve worked with many of your readers and wouldn’t want to leave anyone out. It definitely wasn’t the technical edits I once did for an HVAC company. I can say that for sure.



4) What’s your favorite western?



Full disclosure: It’s not really my genre. That’s one of the reasons this is a fun project for me; it takes me to a fictional world outside of the ones I’m used to. Adaptability is one of the perks of my role. You, the author, can create a world out West, in space, under water, or in a distant future in which Earth is ruled by flying armadillos, and I’m still going to know where the apostrophes and hyphens go.



Dibs on the flying armadillos.



5) If you had a chance to ride with Dodger for a bit and help him defend the Sleipnir, would you take him up on the offer?




The honest answer to that is a qualified “yes.” It would be tempting to simply leap at the chance. After all, who wouldn’t want to go adventuring with Rodger Dodger and his cohorts? But before I signed on, I’d have to make sure my presence wouldn’t cause any jealousy or friction with the lovely Miss Lelanea. I’d hate to be on that lady’s bad side …



****


Don't forget to follow the link on the top right side of the blog to contribute to the Smile Train organization. 
Help low income kids get the smile they deserve! 

***** 



Stephanie Gianopoulos can be found somewhere in New Orleans. She would be happy to dance with you, but don’t talk over the music, please.
Get to know more about Stephanie on her Facebook page.  






<<BACK                                                        FORWARD>> 

No comments:

Post a Comment